Saturday, July 22, 2006

Burnt In Busan

I didn't think it could happen. Not through all the smog. I suppose being out without sunscreen for 2 hours in the middle of the day will do it to you, though.

After all the rain we've been having (especially on the weekends), I was overjoyed to wake up to sunshine (even if not to clear skies), and zealously went down to the beach to catch some vitamin D. I also took a book I've been reading on and off for the last three months. Come to think of it, I've only been reading it when I've been down at the beach.

Anywho, I didn't think I'd get burnt. I took sunscreen, but didn't apply it. This isn't Australia, where you burn in ten minutes down at the beach, afterall. So, there I was, contentedly lying on my stomach reading The DaVinci Code, occasionally turning, but not paying much attention to tanning evenly; I honestly didn't think I'd tan much at all in the first place - it was pretty smoggy. But burn I did. As burnt as I've ever been in Korea. Certainly not at burnt as that time in Madang.... THAT was burnt-so-it-hurt-to-wear-underwear burnt.

I don't know whether being burnt on one side of your body is better or worse than being less burnt on both sides. At least I'll tan. But for now (and no doubt tomorrow), I'm applying Aloe liberally, and trying not to let my skin have too much contact with anything.

Captain D. At least my body is happy internally. How could it not; I had Kebapistan for dinner.

5 comments:

Liz Mc. said...

...and of course it doesn't help to get a friendly slap on your lobster-ish back. sorry about that.;)

J said...

sympathies, guess you'll not like s'pore, probably fry the minute you step out of the airport
mebbe you should try some of those cold noodle dishes- those with ice?

Ang said...

It wasn't really that bad. It went itchy, and now it's a nice tan :)

Aubrey said...

So... maybe I'll be picking you up some aloe in addition to the other items. Or have you learned your lesson?
I did the SAME thing last year. A cloudy day and I was out reading for 3 1/2 hours (come to think of it, it may have been the Davinci Code, too). I turned a more-than-Christmas cherry red. All over! It was the "want to be without any clothes type of burn." Ouch.
Can't wait to see your nice color. I'll be showing off, too!

dd said...

That's what happened to me! Glad its feeling better!