Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Why Australia Should Remain A Monarchy

It is a well-known fact (or at least it should be by now) that Australians love their public holidays. We had one on Monday for the Adelaide Cup (a horse race). Did you know that Australia has a public holiday for the Queen's birthday when England do not?
This is why we should not become a Republic. We'll loose a holiday.

Plus, we won't be able to participate in the Commonwealth Games where we invariably clean up.

Captain Commonwealth. I'll say "God save the Queen" if I get a holiday. If you give me another one, I'll say "Long live the Queen". If you give me another one, I'll publisise that my Grandma looks like li'l Johnny.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Nice to see such principled loyalty flourish.

Dear AL said...

Wont be long before Tony Blair has his own holiday, or the great eared one, Prince Charles!

Daniel Bodnar said...

I really really want to go to Australia! Everyone tells me I have an Ausie accent, even though I've never been out of the states in my life

Ang said...

Tom: of course!

Al: Well, I guess the holiday may change pretty soon. Just as long as we get a replacement holiday!

Daniel: I find that a little hard to beleive. I don't think anyone but an Australian is able to make the declaration that another person has an Aussie accent. Non-Australians do not have the authority to do so. However, since I have never heard you, I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that your accent may border on 'Aussie'.