Sunday, February 19, 2006

Selfishness

Reported in the papers today was the story of a 62-year-old woman who gave birth. This woman has 10 children, 20 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.

To me, old women having children is one of the epitomes of selfishness. It is all about the gratifications of the mother, with no thought to the child. I think women go through menopause for a reason: they are not supposed to bear children after that age. Possible complications for both the mother and the child are huge. The risk of things such as Downs and other long-term health problems for the child is extreme.
This child may be an orphan before they have finished primary school. Although the kid may have the influence of older siblings (in this case, the oldest brother is 40 years old), you can't exactly see 60+ year old parents taking the kid to the park to kick the footy.

I don't doubt that the parents will love this child. What I question are the parents' motives. According to the papers (and I've read several versions in different papers online) the couple had this child (through ivf) because the husband (the woman's third) hadn't had children with his last wife. The couple had had another child (again through ivf) almost 4 years ago, and had another one because they did not want the first child growing up without a sibling. HELLO!?!?! What about the other 8 siblings from her previous marriages? Not to mention the great-grandchildren who would be around the same age (The kid will have a confusing time when his grade 1 class is talking about families: "my niece's and nephew's children are older than I am; my brother is a grandfather").

How about enjoying the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren they already have?

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Captain Irritated. why do women have to be so selfish and have children when nature says they have past the child-bearing years?

3 comments:

Nahuatl said...

I agree. You have the ability to give birth, but that doesn't lower your sensiblities. I don't know why people go crazy about having an army of children. I wonder how long the youngest one will enjoy love of his parents.. *sigh*

WendyWings said...

Actually the risk of Downs etc are non applicable because they are not using her old eggs they are using donor eggs from another much younger woman, having said that I agree with you, grannies are not supposed to be having babies.
Her husband is a great deal younger then her but still, odds are their children wont have a mother past their teens.

debambam said...

I'm with you on this one...what on earth motivates someone to have children so late in life? It can ONLY be for selfish reasons. Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be - kind of like cloning I guess!