Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Scientology Stupidity

Last week on an Adelaide Breakfast show "Sunrise", the American Entertainment Guru, Nelson Aspen, who features on the show was talking about Katie Holmes and Tom and the approaching birth of their baby. As most if not all of you will know, Tom is a Scientologist. According to Aspen, Scientologists push (excuse the pun) for a silent birth, beleiving that any sounds or words may adversly affect the child and leave a lating imprint on the child's subconcious. They also promote leaving the baby alone and with minimal human contact for the first day of life, continuing the period of silence.
Now, I am no expert on Scientology, so I'm not entirely sure the extend to which this is true or how extreme it is in real life. But I can tell you that leaving a newborn without human contact for the first day of its life is far more damaging than screaming bloody murder during the birth. Katie apparently has her head screwed on at least a little straight, and claims that no way will she leave her child alone. I don't know who came up with that little "recommendation", but they obviously knew nothing about child development and attachment theory.

Captain Anti-Cruise, wondering how people can be so dumb as to suggest a newborn should not have immediate contact with its mother or hear her voice

8 comments:

dd said...

Could you imagine?? Oh my god I hope there really aren't people who do that.

Katherine said...

yea, he's a big freakin' idiot and I hate him. After the whole "Brooke Shields is evil spawn" thing I was so over him. Does anyone else think it's really creepy that Katie Holmes had posters of him on her wall when she was growing up? sick

lydia said...

I don't even know where to start about what's wrong with that man! Like to see him push out a baby and keep quiet, geez! and leaving the baby alone? Isn't that when the main bonding occurs? that man is insane!

WendyWings said...

Tom is an idiot, yeah it is fine to fly all the way to Australia when you are eight months pregnant but don't touch the baby on it's first day. pffft whatever

Ang said...

I'm glad my readers aren't as dumb as Tom Cruise, but then, I never thought you were - don't worry :)

I can't believe anyone would really think that leaving a newborn is really a good thing, but I guess there are some freaks out there that think it is. Stupid Scientologists.

Al B Here said...

I think it's pretty fair to say that ol' Tom is insane. After all, who in their right mind would follow a religion created by a science fiction writer?!? Someone should look into his prescription meds...

alyceclover said...

Ooh, didn't know that was what all the fuss was about! We are a bunch of atoms spinning so rapidly they give the sense of solidity. To me, that's what Scientolgy was about. But if they suggest silent births, now I'm not so sure. A baby left alone for the first 24 hours will probably become an adult with "abandoment psychosis" for the rest of their lives.

Ang said...

It's actually called the "Church of Scientology", and it's a freak-ass cult.