Sunday, February 26, 2006

Book Review

I've recently finished reading "fatal cure" by Robin Cook. I usually really enjoy his books, and the genre (medical crime) is one of my favourites.
However, I felt that this book fell way short of his usual standard, and the standard that any book should surpass.
What makes me really dislike a book in this genre is when I've figured out what is going on long before the characters have, without it having been revealed to the reader in any way by the author.
I don't recommend it as a good read, so to spoil the plot it's about this doctor and his wife who are hired by a hospital. Some patients die suspiciously, and this doctor can't figure out what is wrong. Basically, these patients would go into hospital, have surgery or whatever they needed and start to get better. Then they would be transferred to another bed where they would then proceed to get sicker and die in a few days. It took me all of two patients dying to figure out that there was something wrong with that room or that bed, and I'd worked out almost half the book before the doctor had (he only figured it out about two chapters from the end of the book) that the people were dying from radiation poisoning from something in the bed. I feel like saying "you idiot; stop running pointless tests when you know that they won't show anything and start looking at what all the patients had in common when they died"; when the patients started to go downhill after being transferred to the "bed of death" this doctor would order a million tests to try to figure out what was wrong. He did this with every patient, even though they all had the same symptoms, would die the same way, and all the tests that were done never showed anything; but he kept doing the same tests with all the dying patients. Idiot.

Needless to say, it certainly wasn't a great read, so learn from my experience and don't bother reading it.

Captain Critic, giving it to you straight.

1 comment:

Rex Ferric said...

I had this same experience with The DaVinci Code meself (esp. when the so-called DaVinci expert character spent two chapters trying to decode something this casual DaVinci afficianado recognized on sight...)