Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Downfall of 'Pride & Prejudice'?

The next generation may grow up with an inferior version of the film Pride & Prejudice, based on the classic novel by Jane Austen. The trailer of the 127 minute 2005 re-make offers little hope that Keira Knightly can pull off an Elizabeth Bennet to Jennifer Ehle's standard as seen in the 300 minute 1995 BBC 6-part mini series (but did any of us ever think she could?) While Matthew MacFadyen (star of BBC's Spooks) may not be bad, he is certainly no Colin Firth (mmmm... Colin Firth...)

Cast your votes, people. Will you be perusing this sorry excuse for a re-make? Do you believe that Kiera and Matt can really compete with Jen and Colin as a better (or even adequately equal) Lizzy and Darcy?

This blogger thinks not.
Captain Chopsticks, undecided about wheather or not she will see this new version, but doesn't want to see her favourite movie made into a dog's breakfast, and just writing this post has made her look forward to when she will next be able to watch the 6-hour mini-series.
P&P Quote of the Day:
Lizzy: "Other way, Mr. Collins"
Miss Bingley: "let me persuade you to follow my example and take a turn about the room."
Mr. Bennet: No lace. No lace, Mrs. Bennett, I beg you!
Mr. Hurst: That was a damn, tedious waste of an evening"
Mary: But we must stem the tide of malice, and pour into each other's wounded bosoms the balm of sisterly consolation.

And the Winner:
Mr. Darcy: In vain have I struggled, it will not do. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

2 comments:

Fernby said...

actually, I think a massive publicity campaign for this film will actually promote the story, the novel, in the same way that The Lord Of The Rings movies did for Tolkiens books. However, it remains to be seen whether the film version is actually any good.

For my money, i am thinking it will be okay.

Ang said...

I'm not so sure. It might be O.K., but I think I like the BBC version too much. NOTHING can live up my expectations. But if I go see it, I'll try to have an open mind. Afterall, it's a movie version, not a miniseries.