Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Language Exchange

Hey hey!! Since my Captain's Log is going out to about 80 or so people, including my parents, my old hostel parents, and some other's who may be a touch offended by what I have been getting up to, my Blog is the place for me to tell you.
Ji and Bo (and Leah, Daniel, Dylan and Sera) are fantastic people. Funny, too. Ji and Bo take us around to different places (mostly to eat). We also went out to a bar which was the best bar I have ever been to.


This is us (left- from front to back) Ji, Sera, David (Daniel's brother - a fit nating guy), me, and Jiwan (a friend of Bo's). (right - front to back) Dylan, Daniel, Bo and Leah. In the background of the photo you can see our small pitcher of beer (9000 W ~ about $11).










We all got pretty tipsy on the beer (which is really not bad at all, and I'm not the world's biggest fan of beer), and soju, the Korean alcohol (which is a little like slightly sweet vodka, or kind-of-sort-of-not-really-like tequila mixed with vodka) We had it mixed with peach stuff and kiwi stuff, which made it like a breezer or a cruiser. We also had lots of free food (everywhere you go to eat, when you order a main dish, or, like at the bar, drinks, you get all these side dishes of food for free).
The guys have taught us how to say "hello", "goodbye", "thank you" and "fart" in Korean. We have taught them how to say "taking the piss", "getting pissed", "shit faced" and "talking shit" (which we had examples of in Sera, who got smashed on the soju, and Dylan at the bar) in English. Bo, especially, is a master at "taking the piss", so it is now his favourite expression.

Well, guys, I am having a blast. I have orientation today, and classes will start next week.
I love the people here. Our group has melded really well. We have been on hugging terms within hours of meeting each other; even if we are only leaving each other for a few hours it's hugs all round. And, for Lochy - it's "leaving hand on another's shoulder for no reason for extended periods of time" terms. I don't think I have ever had friendships form this fast.

There are a few things that I need to get used to, like sharing a room with three other people who do not speak much English, sharing a shower, and not knowing where everything is (but that will change, with the help of Ji and Bo, and exploration).

I do miss people is Oz, and am sad that I'll miss The Last Blast, but I wouldn't exchange this experience for the world.

anyongi,
Ang

No comments: